Tuesday, April 24

update on Sleep Training & Food

I'm a little late posting this, but after Harper's 6 month check-up, her pediatrician got real with us. She basically said we were losing sleep because H was not comfortable and she needed more food. WHOOPS. I mean, we are dumb, but dang!  She's a happy baby, how were we to know?!?!

Sleep:
So, we went cold turkey. On everything! We placed her in her crib for the first time, NO swaddle, and we did not rock her to sleep. Oh dear!

That first night was super rocky. We let her cry it out and it was AWFUL. We both kept going in and patting her and making sure she was ok. After 40 minutes of crying, she fell asleep. I'm not sure that Brian or I slept very good that night!

The next night, we were scared.to.death. I already told Brian I was going to have to leave if she cried again. I just couldn't stand it! But, he laid her down awake, and she rolled around for about 10 minutes, and went right to sleep...and slept THROUGH the night! Since then we have placed her in her crib and she puts herself to sleep. It's soo amazing!!! :)

I've also worked very hard at getting her to sleep at least 1 nap a day in her crib when I'm home - mostly over Spring Break. To most of you, that seems really silly. But if you remember, she would never sleep unless we held her or she was in her vibrating seat. She sometimes sleeps in her pack'n'play for the sitter, but never for us. It's been a bit of a struggle but she has taken at least 1 nap a day in her crib and sometimes more! YAY! Free time?! Yea, now I see how SAHM's are able to do so much during their kid's naps...they aren't holding them!

Napping has been getting easier and easier with the crib, so I'm hopeful I can get a good routine in this summer when I'm off. On the weekends, we've pretty much set when her naps are according to when she's tired and she usually sleeps in her crib for an hour each time. That's amazing for her!!

So, although I was planning on swaddling Harper until she was around 5...looks like we don't have to do that!

Food:
We also started baby food when H turned 6 months old. We've just now finished having her try all the first foods for a few days.  I made a handy-dandy spreadsheet where we checked off how many times she ate the food and if she liked it, etc.  Um, girl takes after her parents! She loves to eat! Everything! She definitely has her favorites, but she will eat anything you put in front of her!

Anyone else think making a new schedule and figuring out how much your child should eat is confusing?!





10 comments:

  1. Yay for a sleeping baby! We had to do the cry it out with G a few times and I know how awful it is! So glad you're getting some sleep now though. And I was also so confused and stressed out about what she was eating and how much. I finally chilled out and just feed her when she's hungry and give her something else if she doesn't like what I give her {which is never because she'll eat anything too}

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay for sleeping!! That whole crib thing is hard! It is sooo nice to be able to lay them down isn't it? Good job momma!
    A spreadsheet? You are outstanding. I just feed them hope for no allergies. ha!
    You asked me a while ago to blog about how I do it and it sounds like YOU need to be the one blogginG about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's great about her sleeping! I'm hesitant to try CIO again.... what was your main reasoning behind it? Just looking for some advice here because Jade still won't sleep through the night either.... :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whenever I read that someone's baby sleeps through the night IN THEIR CRIB i get so jealous. Emily is good about naps in her crib but at night she sleeps with me and even then she still tosses around and I have to flip sides and "feed" her for a second or two. I don't know what to do :(. She would not stop crying if I did the CIO method. Maybe I need to try it again? What if she cries all night?? And my husband works at night so I would be all alone with a crying baby?! All night?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's great that she is adjusting to her new sleep routine. I think that can be one of the toughest things for both the babies and the parents. I didn't keep track too well of the food Chloe tried, but she pretty much liked everything too and responded to it just fine. That girl can make a mess though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. C refuses to nap in his crib at home too! He will nap in the pack and play at daycare for and hour and a half, but at home...no dice! This needs to change before summer break! Did you do CIO for naptime too?

    Bed time he loves his bed and goes willingly in and sleeps thorough the night, he has done this for months, but naptime is a different story!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay Harper on the sleeping improvements! I'm so glad that it's working out better for all of you:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so glad she has settled in her crib for you! It makes life a little easier if you are well rested yourself.
    It's all a learning curve, and they grow so fast you constantly have to change it up anyway lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay to you and harper!! sounds like everyone is enjoying sleep~ and yes, the whole first year you are constantly trying to find the perfect schedule. and just when you've got it they grow~

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love hearing positive comments from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...